We never made it to the park for our picnic as we planned. Instead, The Adjustment Bureau got a hold of us and changed our plans.
If you haven't seen the movie, check it out. The movie examines this question as summed up on IMDB, "Do we control our destiny, or do unseen forces manipulate us? A man glimpses the future Fate has planned for him and realizes ... he is up against the agents of Fate itself - the men of The Adjustment Bureau."
While we don't believe in Fate, we do believe the Father has a plan for our lives, including a plan for each moment of every day. At times we don't understand the point of all the adjustments (things not going as we'd planned), and at other times, we see the point immediately. Today was a little of both.
So this morning as we headed out of our apartment for the planned picnic in the park, we simply couldn't leave.
- Corbin wouldn't eat breakfast so he wandered around outside with M'Lynn.
- Kanyon and I met M'Lynn and Corbin outside to leave, but when we did, I realized I forgot to bring the laundry downstairs and returned to the apartment to retrieve it.
- I returned to the apartment with Corbin to give M'Lynn a break from the screaming monster child and to give Corbin a talkin' to.
- When we returned and met Kanyon and M'Lynn outside, Kanyon declared he needed to go to the bathroom immediately.
- I returned with Kanyon to the apartment to take care of his business before we returned outside to M'Lynn and Corbin.
- We got inside a taxi to the grocery store to buy supplies for our picnic. The taxi picked up additional passengers and headed to their destination first, away from the grocery store but right by our laundry place. We got out to do our laundry first.
- While we picked up/dropped off our laundry we saw some friends also in town for meetings. We chatted for a while and loaned them 300 baht to pay for their haircuts. (Was this the Father's plan all along?)
- When we finally made it to the grocery store we bought snacks but no sandwiches for the picnic. Corbin screamed constantly so he and M'Lynn waited outside.
- We settled for a "picnic" at an outside bakery/restaurant.
- And now, we are all taking long naps. (Or maybe this the Father's plan all along?)
Maybe we'll go to the park tomorrow.